Wednesday, October 5, 2011

When A Friend Decorates

When A Friend Decorates series continues with a friend who flawlessly marries family heirlooms or thrift store finds into her family's stylish home. She has an amazing eye for pulling together the old with the new to create a home that is rich in history and quality of furnishings, yet evokes modern day living. She has talent!

Just to enter her home through the antique door is quite a treat. I love the arch! Adore the knocker!
The gold gilted mirror and console were inherited treasures. They are antique, gorgeous and super heavy.
She inherited three of these chairs, all were dark wood and upholstered in a different textile.  She loved the pieces and the fact that they were once a beloved aunt's, so she gave them a modern day freshness by having them painted an ivory and enhanced them with a stunning textile find from Calico Corners! Perfection!
The details, close-up.
This antique sofa had her swooning when she saw it in a thrift store. She recognized a quality piece when she spotted this gem and immediately purchased. She then had it reupholstered prior to delivery at her home. There is a special spark about a home that has furnishings that aren't all massed produced. She excels at mixing the old with the new. This sofa will soon be flanked by two Worlds Away end tables.
I love this room, it is flooded with natural light, has furnishing that are rich in family history and yet, the space feels like "her" family's home.
Are you a fan of mixing antiques with the made today furnishings? Do you have an eye for spotting quality antique pieces, but having them updated to fit into your modern day home?

I'd love to feature your space in my series, When A Friend Decorates. Whether your space has a show stopping vignette, a closet that has been given the royal treatment or a room with style send me an e-mail with your images!

18 comments:

Allie said...

Love your friend's home. The pieces she has are beautiful. I do love mixing old and new to create a space that is uniquely yours. The history of heirloom furniture is especially welcome in our home as well. Great post. Have a lovely day.

FrenchBlue said...

I. WANT. THAT. DOOR! Your friend has a good good eye!
XO

Jessie said...

I love how she is able to use old things and still make it feel like a unity. Amazing!

This is a bit OT, but I want to share a birthday project... I came across this project where a girl is trying to get pictures from all over the world with people holding signs saying "Hello Tony" and make it into a gift for her boyfriend. I think it is an amazing project and so I wanted to share it on the blogs I know... please have a look at http://hellotonyproject.blog.com/ and I hope you forgive me for posting this, even though it is a bit off topic.

The enchanted home said...

Beautiful, how she was able to make something old new again. Love that front door and the fabric from CC is really great looking!

Party Resources said...

I love love love that chair!! xx

debra @ 5th and state said...

it's all in the mix and your friend has done so beautifully! adore those inherited chairs. thank your stylish friend for sharing
debra

Unknown said...

That mirror and console are jaw dropping!!! What a gorgeous space!

xoxo Elizabeth

Victoria said...

Love your friend's inherited pieces -- especially the gorgeous mirror and console -- and how she has incorporated family pieces, newly purchased furniture and thrift store finds into her design.

I love doing the same myself. It makes a home far more personal and unique and reflective of ones own taste and style.

Best...Victoria

The Buzz Blog said...

I'm a huge fan of mixing eras and styles - thankfully, since I inherited alot of Louis XV and XVI pieces from my parents' years in Europe. They ahve a happy home in a 1920's farmhouse! Love these peeks into your friends' lives...
xxoo

STYLE'N said...

I don't think I have an eye for finding quality antique pieces at all. But I love the idea of this and I also love to mix and match old antique pieces with modern contemporary pieces. I also just love to know the history behind antiques.. So much character and charm with older pieces.

Unknown said...

So pretty...that front door! Swoon!

The Corson Cottage said...

The fabric on that chair is beautiful! I'm your newest follower. Carrie

quintessence said...

Always love the mix - that's what makes things interesting. And just love the Calico Corners fabric!!

Barbara@HausDesign said...

What a beautiful, one of a kind home. You said it has a certain "spark" when old and new is mixed and I totally agree! Love that front door, too...

Stevie said...

These are beautiful furnishings that somehow I'd never consider going together, yet they really work well. I especially like the imposing door with that Dickensian knocker. Cool!

the modern sybarite ™ said...

Love the Calico Corner upholstered chair. ces't magnifique!

Decor Arts Now said...

Love the tassel leg chairs. I have been seeing a lot of tassel leg sidetables too. So chic.
Lynn

Brandon said...

Beautiful, how she was able to make something old new again. Love that front door and the fabric from CC is really great looking!