Thursday, May 20, 2010

The cobbler's children have no shoes...

and my family has no dining room chairs. Life happens and two years have passed with my husband asking me if we will still live in the same home when we finally get dining room chairs. Love, the answer is yes!

 Our dining room sat empty for one year as I walked by it daily saying "I'll get to you soon." This past year I've hung the wallpaper, had a custom size carpet made from a local carpeting store, purchased a traditional oval dining table and completed my search for dining chairs. Picking the chair I wanted in the dining room was easy. I've always loved a Louis XVI chair. What took some time was originally thinking I'd score the chairs and have them re-done. That plan did not pan out, so I contacted a trade only source that makes chairs in Italy and we've been communicating since January. After securing the vendor, I needed to decide on the textile for the back of the backs, the textile for the seat and back; as well as the trim work for both spaces. Just recently I've pulled the final look together for the chairs and now they are ready to be made!

I'm doing this Louis XVI chair in a painted white satin. Two armchairs and 8 side chairs.
Since I have two little kids there aren't many options in our home where I can use silk. I knew the back of the chair would be one of the few spots I could use such a textile. Here is the silk and the trim for the back of the back.
The shagreen leather, the white satin wood chip and the French natural nailheads for the leather parts of the chair.
   
It was worth the wait. I did not rush and I'm 100% in love with how I believe the finished chairs will look. While the chairs are being made I need to decide on the sconces, the chandelier and the mirror before my punch list is completed. Designing a home takes time and patience. I've learned to create a list, be patient and handle one task at a time when it comes to my own home (this was not an easy thing for me to learn.) 

Do you have a space in your home that has sat unfinished? Do you take your time in letting your home evolve or are you more into instant happiness? Both thought processes are acceptable!

10 comments:

Unknown said...

Can not wait to see these finished...I am so sure they will be breathtaking! Ten years living here, and STILL trying to finish my Husband's office! :)

Susie @ Maddie G Designs said...

Ah, it took me forever to settle on dining chairs....table sat there empty for some time. I was in love with some Niermann Weeks ones....but just couldn't justify the expense at this point....but I do still dream about them. Almost had some made from Artistic Frame....and finally found some I loved and ordered them....only for them to arrive with nail heads when I didn't want them...so we had to wait even longer for them to be re-done....but it was worth the wait. Out living room is the problem room....a sofa and curtains were as far as I got. All other plans laid to rest when we found out we are moving....and I just need to figure out how to make the room look done enough for when it goes on the market. Your chairs look divine....cannot wait to see the finished product.

La Dolfina said...

I'm in your camp all the way. My Living Room sat unfinished for years... and unpainted for several years more... But when it finally came together it was more than worth it!!!!!
I wholly subscribe to patience. It really pays off :)
I think your chairs are going to be absolutely fabulous!!!!!

style chronicle said...

I am with you all the way. I wanted Louis XVI dining chairs as well. After finding them at Scott's they are now sitting around my dining room table. Now I have to wait until I can upholster them in my dream Christopher Norman yellow silk. I have a feeling it is going to be a while but well worth the wait. Love yours!

Karena said...

It is so hard to wait, so worth it though!!

Lisa am very excited to seee the results!

Karena

Art by Karena

Kathysue said...

When it comes to my home I am a verrry patient girl. We have been in this home for 32 years and I still have not done the living room that is in my head. The funny thing is I still have my original overall plan in mind that I had on the day I moved in. It is not done but presentable and that is fine. Someday might never come and that is alright too. I love, what you have chosen. The trim for the silk is amazing. Smart to use the leather for the seat cushions. I can not wait to see the finished product but I know this will take a bit of time. I am dying to know what you have in mind for the mirror and sconces. Two of my favorite elements in a room!!! Thanks for sharing, Happy Thursday,Kathysue

Gwen Driscoll said...

It's going to be just beautiful. Love what you've picked. And yes, there are undone places all over my house. I, too, am going down the punch list one step at a time. It feels good.

M.A. the 2nd ~ Frances Russell said...

Lisa... the chairs are absolutely beautiful and you know how I love Louis chairs! The fabric, trim and especially the leather are all so stunning! Can't wait to see the finished product.
Hugs Frances

The Buzz Blog said...

Can't wait to see the chairs once they're done... The research and wait will all be worth the while!

sara said...

Gorgeous finishes, love the shagreen leather! Please post the finished product, would love to see them. I couldn't help but laugh when I read the first couple of lines - while we have a dining room table, I still haven't gotten around to picking out the chairs and we've been in our house a year!