Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Shadow boxes

Regardless of one's budget for interior design/decoration, one of the goals of most homeowners is to make their house feel like a home. Infusing elements that are meaningful to one's family is one way to achieve this goal. Below is a recent post on personalizing one's home...here are some additional shadow box ideas. All of these were created with an $8.00 wooden and glass shadow box...very inexpensive artwork, but truly priceless. Proper placement in a home makes a difference on it's impact.

This post was about a shadow box that hangs in a built-in shelving unit in our vacation home. http://hamptontoes.blogspot.com/2010/03/personalizing-your-home.html In a post on my son's bedroom you can see another example of using a shadow box. http://hamptontoes.blogspot.com/2010/01/our-sons-bedroom.html

Generally, people consider hallways as a means of getting from point A to point B. I almost always like to create galleries in hallways so that they are no longer thought of as a hallway, but rather a gallery. In our hallway on the bedroom level, I have three different shadow boxes on display. This one is filled with stuff from when I was a baby. The little white cotton dress was worn by our daughter too!

This is the other grouping in the same hallway as above, but on a different wall. These are filled with very meaningful mementos...also, the wallpaper lining in each shadow box is the same wallpaper as in our son's and daughter's bedroom. (Yes, I have a little thing for baby chapeaus!)
The sky is the limit when creating a shadow box.  I love their ideas too! One blogger, Shari @ http://www.littlebluedeer.blogspot.com/ commented on my blog that she is planning to put her great-grandmother's apron in a shadow box and display in her kitchen...that would be amazing! I also think a grouping of shadow boxes above a console in a living area could be quite striking!

I'd love to hear about your ideas for additional items that are perfect for a shadow box! Oh, not one of these displays took me more than thirty minutes to assemble and hang...a great weekend project!

18 comments:

Lindsay said...

So adorable. I'm sure you love walking past all these memories each day! xx

Unknown said...

Aww, thanks for mentioning me! I do think the apron will be so cool. We don't have a Christmas Tree store around here (but I do know what you're talking about), but I'm thinking maybe Garden Ridge will have something similar that is less expensive than Hobby Lobby, I'll let you know what I find! Have a fabulous day!

Unknown said...

We too use our hallways as family photo galleries. Love your shadow boxes so much. I have framed my childrens' artwork, bathing suits and my scarves in them as well.

Hamptontoes said...

The Zhush...
Glad you use your hallways too (great minds think alike.) Hallways always seem to be the undiscovered gem of a home. Your shadow boxes sound great...would love to see a post on them!

Kathysue said...

Your shadow boxes are just full of precious memories. Love them and I love the way they are displayed down your hall on the shelf. It is the pictures of our loved ones that make a house a home!! Kathysue

Kathysue said...

I just read your comment on my blog post and I wanted to thank you for adding me to your list of blogs you enjoy reading. I feel very honored to be on your reading list, thankyou for your wonderful comments ,I always enjoy seeing you there. I can't wait to see your tented playroom. Would love to know your plans and how you are going to do it, I am intrigued, Kathysue

Kerry said...

You just reminded me that I still have a silk crocheted matinee jacket and bonnet that I wore as a baby...and man, I'm old! I think I'll frame them now just like yours. Thanks for stopping by my blog Lisa.

Gwen Driscoll said...

I love family photos. I have them everywhere. Such a great post. Sorry I've been so out of touch. My life has been a little nutty with work but all good! Hope you are well. I'll be back soon.

G

Chic Coles said...

I really love shadow boxes. I have a big one that I use for some of my jewelry!

Unknown said...

These shadow boxes are a great way of displaying goodies. Its like making your own 3D art.
*kisses* HH

M.A. the 2nd ~ Frances Russell said...

Lisa ... these shadowboxes are absolutely gorgeous! I love the two of the children. So beautiful and full of wonderful memories. I love the idea of pulling their wallpaper into the boxes and everything flows. Fantastic design idea... Hugs always
Frances

Posh Peach said...

I love shadow boxes! Yours are fabulous. Darcy Miller of Martha Stewart Weddings did a fabulous story about them in a previous issue. You'll have to google it and see!

Hamptontoes said...

The Pink Tutu,
I can not believe that fabulous story you had me google! I'm nuts about her shadow boxes...now I want to do an entire wall! Thanks so much!

Rock'n Roll Ballerina said...

Love the shelfs with photo's. And the shadow boxes are just so qute! ;)

Juliana said...

I just LOVE your blog! I really want to do that shadow box for my son, it almost made me tear up just looking at them. I think I may make one for my husband for Father's Day. Anyhow, I am now your newest follower. Hope you have a lovely weekend.

bluehydrangea said...

Love your shadow boxes..I have got to put some together of my kids baby items!!

A Perfect Gray said...

love these...

Angie@Echoes of Laughter said...

Your shadow boxes are incredible!! They are so very beautiful and meaningful! I feel inspired! Thank you for sharing.