Monday, January 18, 2010

Before/After of the seating area in my kitchen

After living in NYC with a kitchen the size of a postage stamp, the one thing I hoped for in the 'burbs was a decent size kitchen! My goal for the seating area of the kitchen was to be able to seat many people, display family photos, have a calmness to it and to maximize my space. Here is a photo from when we bought the home, good space...right?
   before

after





I had a banquette built so that we could maximize seating capacity. The banquette will soon have a vinyl cushion to finish the look. I am doing a vinyl because washable is not an option where kids eats three times a day and do art projects; wipeable is the way to go! I hung photo ledges to display family pictures and my kiddies artwork. The lighting fixure is on a dimmer. The walls and the ceiling were painted one color, the inside of thy sky lights were painted white...all to play to the height of the room. We love this space!

2 comments:

pve design said...

we have a banquette in our kitchen, and love it.
nice place to color, break bread and share life.
pve

Traci Giles said...

I LOVE how the picture rails echo the shape and form of the banquette.