Thursday, March 25, 2010

Activity tables in living rooms

Yesterday, I posted about placing a dresser in a foyer and how practical it is to have the utility of storage. Again, I am posting about something that is both practical and functional. I love to see a living room with a "work table" for playing games, doing homework, reading the paper, doing a puzzle, a spot for placing a laptop, writing notes or any other activity of choice....basically a place for "living" in the living room. I'm particularily fond of natural woods when being used for this purpose, they look great with wear.

When we moved into our home the window seat was already here. I knew that my family would prefer to sit on one of the sofas or chairs in the living room vs the window seat, but I wanted to utilize the bench seat in some way. With that in mind, I decided to make this area of the living room our family's gathering space for activities. I have the table pushed against the window seat. My children always climb back there and sit or look out the window onto the back deck. It's safer to have the table pushed against the window seat (neither child will slide between the seat and the table). The end chairs and the bench provide two additional types of seating. The various types of seating surfaces I used can accommodate a cozy family of four or a gathering of many.

This is the activity table in our living room. My husband and I like to play games with our children here. My daughter will do a puzzle while I'm making dinner. At night I'll sit here and work on my computer. My son bangs on it with his hands. When my mother is visiting she perches herself on the window seat like a cat and reads the paper or a magazine. We've held game nights here with friends. Depending on the size and shape of your living room would depend on the size and shape of table needed to fit your space.
I'm currently working with a client who loved this concept. We had a custom round table made for her living room and it turned out beautiful. They are a busy family with many needs and the table fulfills their demands when it comes to activities in the living room. Do you have such a space in your living room? If so, what kind of activities do you do there? If not, thinking about getting one?

11 comments:

Unknown said...

Such a fun idea. I can see how this would be great for all different types of entertaining. That mirrored cabinet in the background is so lovely, and I love your nail head trim chairs so much as well. Great seeing little glimpses into your home.

Kathysue said...

A game table is on my wish list for my living room. I have a bay window much like the one you have pictured and have thought about doing exactly what you have done. It is nice to hear how well it has worked out for you. Great post, thanks for the inspiration Kathysue

Susie @ Maddie G Designs said...

Love that table and the accessories! (Love it all). We don't have a game table but our kitchen/family room/sunroom are all open so we play games at the kitchen table. I am thinking of a small game table for a corner window in our family room....but still trying to find the right size. Oh yes, and my daughter has a little toddler table and chairs in the sunroom, which I can see from the kitchen.

Unknown said...

This was a really cool idea. Unfortunately my living room is small. I also go for the minimalist look in my house (and that helps make small spaces look bigger).
*kisses* HH

ashlina {the decorista} said...

great idea. im loving the white accessories. and LOVE the studded chairs too.

:)

Kellie Collis said...

Eating and blogging so i can keep an eye on the TV as well!

That is a beautiful space! x

Debra said...

What a wonderful spot! I love the idea of a central area where family can meet for fun. The window seat is so appealing-especially while we wait for the daily changes with the coming of spring. Have a great weekend and thank you so much for the visit- come back soon!

Erika Ward said...

Very insightful and designed for the way we live. This is truly functional design. I have the next best thing...a playspace in the next room...

Anonymous said...

Isn't that why they invented the living/dining room set up?? some people just don't have that kind of space.

M.A. the 2nd ~ Frances Russell said...

Lisa I love this space. It is so good having an area where the children can do homework, games etc. We have our kitchen and family room as one big space and it is fantastic because everyone is in here...(me usually cooking!), Georgiana playing or writing/colouring in and Dominic looming over my shoulder asking what's for dinner! When Alexander is home he sits at the kitchen bench chatting and our kitchen table is also a play, work station....it is living! When we entertain I always find everyone gravitates towards this area because of the family feel!
I especially LOVE that aubergine chair at the end of your table...gorgeous and all your scatter cushions. Looks fantastic!

RHurst said...

That was a great idea! I would love to have something like that in my front room. I think I would also add a toddler table and chairs set for my kids and their friends to play at when I have guests over.