Friday, March 5, 2010

Your sense of design adventure

Since it's Friday, I thought I'd have a little fun with this post!
There is definitely something to be said for our own sense of adventure in life; and how that correlates with decorating our own home. I tend to have an adventurous personality and I'm not afraid to take risks. I think good design usually pushes the boundaries a little (or maybe a lot!) My interiors are never homogenous. I like to layer rooms by mixing the old with the new, the high end custom piece with the inexpensive retail find, tossing the distressed piece of furniture into a room that is otherwise quite polished, blending various furniture/metal finishes together to create a comfortable feel, a "wow" factor for every room I design is a must and ultimately creating a home that fits the homeowners like a couture suit...perfectly!

Thought I'd show a little of my adventurous personality in hopes that you get to better know me. Here I am in South Africa getting ready for my dive with Great White Sharks.
Climbling into the cage with my husband. 
We saw very large Great Whites...about two to three feet from our cage!
 
  Here are a few samplings of what we saw up close, all while in an open Jeep on a safari in South Africa. My husband took all of these photos!
Take notice of the baby monkey holding onto the mother's belly while she is walking.  
I decorate with a fearless sense of how I pull my interiors together. My interiors are not over the top or even infused with lots of color, but rather refined and higly influenced by the color palettes you see in nature. I am not afraid to leave my comfort zone with how I live life or how I decorate. What are your thoughts about one's personality playing into one's interior design or decorating?

Now, just let me conclude with this thought...I would scream, fall over, knock my head on something and pass out if I were to see a mouse...I'm terribly frightened of them...seriously! I'd rather see a tiger in my kitchen than a mouse. When we go to the Bronx Zoo my husband trys to get me into the mouse exhibit with our children...I tell him I have to stay outside and "watch" the stroller...wink, wink!!

Have a wonderful weekend!           

19 comments:

Susie @ Maddie G Designs said...

Wow, looks like two amazing experiences! Thanks for sharing.

pve design said...

Love that you are inspired by nature and creatures great and small!
Well maybe not all the small ones.
pve

M.A. the 2nd ~ Frances Russell said...

These photos are incredible ~ I have always wanted to go Africa both south and east. The magnificence of both the landscape and the wildlife is overwhelming. I also agree that our personalities are very much reflected in how we design. I love a polished interior but I don't like things to be too busy and clutter is definitely out. I like serene interiors with a classic style but always throw a quirky piece into the mix because it shows that nothing is nor has to be perfect.(Even though I strive for perfection!) My dream is to go to Kenya and do a "Karen Blixen" safari on horseback (I love riding) but with the 5 star tent!!! I also believe we are inspired by nature and history and my interiors also reflect that. However, I hate mice to and spiders!! Thanks for a great post and have a wonderful week-end.

M.A. the 2nd ~ Frances Russell said...

See this is showing my perfectionist side - "to" should be spelt "too"! I should have previewed before posting! Once again a beautiful post!!
Frances

Unknown said...

Wow, you are not kidding you really are adventurous! Would love to see how you incorporate that fearless side into interiors...it must be, well..."fierce"!

TSL said...

Living life large! Do you skydive?

Deborah said...

Hi - I'm Deborah. It is so exciting to see people do what they are passionate about. I look forward to reading your blogs and I hope that you will follow my blogs as well. I too love interior design, fashion, makeup, food and anything beautiful. I look forward to sharing ideas with you.

Melanie said...

Wow!! Those photos are incredible!!! You ahve quite an adventurous streak... I LOVE IT!!!

Thank you so much for stopping by my blog and saying Hello.

To answer your question about my camera... I have a 6 year old Kodak Easy Share. Nothing special at all but my sister is a professional photographer and she has taught me so much! I am hoping to buy a Rebel soon. We'll see!

Thanks again for the visit!!!!

Melanie

Kathysue said...

OH MY!! When you said Adventurous you really meant it, Yikes!! I am not the aventurous type at all so this is pretty amazing to me.Kathysue

Deborah said...

Your photos are Ah-mazing. What an incredible life you must live. I look forward to following your post.

KellyMellyBoBellyBananaFanna said...

fantastic photos! we were just talking about booking a trip to africa, too.

inspiring!

kelly

Bumby Scott said...

Wonderful.

Always Bumby

Hamptontoes said...

Tina Steele Lindsey - I draw the line at sky diving...I won't jump out of a perfectly good airplane! Parasailing is as close to "flying" as I've come. Good question though!

Kelly - If your plans to Africa take you to South Africa, let me know. I've saved all of my information and can share with you if desired. It was a decade old dream come true when we went to South Africa. To see the animals in an area that they are indigenous to caused my eyes to swell with tears....I will never forget the experience. To be in a place where the topography was not marred by superstructure was refreshing.

To everyone - Thanks so much for your comments!

Haven and Home said...

This was definitely a fun post, sharks?!?!?!?

Traci Giles said...

I'm not sure about being in an open Jeep this close to animals with teeth like that (!), but I'm dying to go to Africa, too. Thank you for sharing some of your fun adventures! I know you have more. . . .

Gwen Driscoll said...

Your experience just looks like it was amazing. I don't really consider myself adventurous but I guess when you consider I started my own business on a little more than a dream 10 years ago it was pretty adventurous. And, now that I think about my house reflects that. It certainly isn't "safely" decorated. Can't wait to see some of your interiors! And, I'm still blown away you can hang your own wallpaper. If only!

Holly said...

That's incredible. I just learned my good friend Barbara in Seattle did the same thing last year -- had no idea sharks in South Africa was the thing to do! Wanted to tell you Bailey is doing well, just bothered by her torn ACL -- need to think about whether I can put her through surgery at her age (11) or if there might be another solution. Thanks for your ideas on my Imperial Trellis -- I'm thinking pillows...

Charlotta Ward said...

I completely agree with you and I too have a tendency to love the extreme and be fearful of the tame.. Jumping off mountains, hugging large snakes... that's me. Show me a worm and I faint!

Interiors - absolutely personal. It wouldn't be right if they weren't..

Thanks for stopping by my blog and for leaving a comment. I hope you visit again.

xCharlotta

Cashon&Co said...

Those photos your husband took are incredible!!! And you are a MUCH BRAVER woman than I .....when I saw that pic of the Great white i literally gasped. I would FREAK out if I saw one in the water w/ me. Great blog, I''m enjoying reading your posts, off to read more! ~K