Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Wallpaper World Map

Having an interest in geography, my husband and I loved the idea of a world map in our home. I just needed to figure out how we would intergrate it into our decor. After researching our options, I liked the idea of doing a wallpaper mural of the world in our family/play room (finished basement level). I ordered this map from www.maps.com/map.aspx?cid=1,24&pid=11068 .  Instead of ordering the standard blue "school" map (which is nice), I ordered the executive edition with the various browns/creams to compliment the warm tones (carpeting, stone fireplace) in the room.

Now that I think about it, this was technically my first wallpapering installation. This mural is applied to the wall in the same fashion as standard wallcoverings. This map has become such a conversation piece! Our daughter loves to see where she lives in relation to her grandparents and where she's traveled. We also came up with a system for marking where we have traveled. It reminds us of where we'd like to travel someday.  Visitors love to point to all the places they have been and it leads to some pretty good conversations.
I bought tiny little red dots from Staples and applied them to all the places we have traveled as a couple/family. It is really fun for us to look at the map and talk about our experiences in a certain location.  
 I also think this mural would look amazing in a child's room or in a study/library. Do you have a globe or a world map?

8 comments:

Lindsay said...

I LOVE this!

red ticking said...

love it... maps are amazing... i collect them and each one is a piece of art. xx

Susie @ Maddie G Designs said...

I think this is a great idea. Especially since my husband is Australian and I am pitiful with world geography (despite having worked on international funds---often traveling as a result--in my private equity days). It would be a great way to brush up and a fun way to get children to learn.

Kathysue said...

I think maps and globes make wonderful design objects and you are right they promote great conversations. Did you see the post that Brooke did on the room she did for a client involving maps and globes. It is great and a very meaningful room to the family. I am sure you will enjoy the post,Have a wonderful Tuesday,Kathysue

ashlina {the decorista} said...

yes! right now i am loving on globes!

Traci Giles said...

I think this is a really beautiful way to teach children about the world. "Let's go look at the map and I'll show you!" How many times have you said that so far? :)

Unknown said...

This is great! The red dots really take it to the next level. Thanks for letting me know about it.
xx
Sue

Anonymous said...

I love this! what a great idea! Maps with a vintage feel are best!