Thursday, March 4, 2010

Custom Pillow

I'm working on a custom pillow for our daughter's bedroom. She loves to sit in her bed and lean against her headboard to "read" books. I'm making this pillow the width of her twin bed and high enough for her to sit in bed and lean against comfortably while "reading." She is so excited about this textile! Here's a sneak peak of what's to come...
This Zoffany textile is going to be the frontside of the pillow. It's perfect for an almost four year old (who has a mommy that loves shoes!)    
Close-up details:
This deep rich pink is a cotton velvet by Fabricut and will be the backside...it's so soft. 
 I will do a post on her entire room once I complete a few more details.
You can use any material to make a pillow, it doesn't have to be a textile from a design showhouse (as seen above). You can use patterned napkins and sew together...include a great trim to take it over the top! You can also use a piece of clothing.  I once saw Eddie Ross speak at Calico Corners (about a year ago) and he used a fancy sequined gown from Goodwill to make pillows that were gorgeous!
Do you like to make custom pillows?   

6 comments:

La Dolfina said...

What a fabulous pillow that will be!
I love the idea that any fabric can be re-imagined into a pillow. I recently did a post about turning some Missoni silk scarves into pillows.

Susie @ Maddie G Designs said...

What a cute fabric, your daughter is a lucky little girl. I am looking forward to the big reveal.

FrenchBlue said...

OH MY is she a lucky lucky girl! YOU are amazing! I LOVE THIS! It makes me... miss bluezy want to redecorate with this! I adore the shoe design!! Thank you for sharing~
XO

M.A. the 2nd ~ Frances Russell said...

This fabric is exquisite and my daughter would love it as well as she is definitely a shoe girl as is her mother!!! I am not counting but Imelda Marcos might have a run for her money. I also love the way you have contrasted the back with the rich pink fabric - very clever. Can't wait to see the interior, I am sure it will be gorgeous.
Frances

Kathysue said...

Oh this is too cute, I am in the process of doing a playroom for both boys and girls but the bed will be dressed for whichever gender is visiting. I have the bedding picked out,now I am on to color. In fact I posted both looks today and am asking readers what color would they choose for the walls, I have already gotten my swatches together but love hearing others in-put so if you have a chance come on by. can not wait to see what you do to your little ones room, Kathysue

Sixty-Fifth Avenue said...

I love that fabric! And no, I don't like to make pillows but I would love one! :)
Thanks for stopping by!
My little one is turing 4 too, it goes by so fast!