Monday, March 1, 2010

Orchids

Often times, I'm asked for advice about what would make a great hostess gift, housewarming present or birthday gift for the person that has everything. My answer...a beautiful orchid. There is something about an orchid that elevates the room in which it's placed...agree? It seems when people hear the word orchid, they immediately think $$$ signs...are you one of them?

Orchids need not cost a fortune to elicit the response "you shouldn't have!" 
Here's one of my secrets...
I have had great success in finding orchids from Home Depot and Trader Joe's for $20.00 or less. I recently purchased orchids at Home Depot for $14.99 a piece and several months prior to from Trader Joe's for less than $20.00. Now, I would never have the nerve to hand someone an orchid that looks like this...in a plastic container with plastic little clips...not my style.    
    Instead, I have a go-to supply of green moss and raffia, both from Michael's (art supply store for those of you not familiar) for a few dollars each. Since, I can use both for numerous gifts (or for my own home), I amortize the initial cost (which isn't much) over numerous plants.
And, then I grab something snazzy for the pot. In this case I bought a serving bowl with two lions heads, one on each side. The cost...$3.99, the source...Christmas Tree Shop.
      Here's the breakdown: the orchid $14.99, the pot $3.99 and a handful of green moss to enhance the presentation and raffia to replace the little clips...the final look for about $20.00! 
  
For the presentation, I wrap it in clear cellophane from the bottom up, leave about 10 extra inches at the top, then I gather the top and wrap a huge bow around it...looks very pulled together! This gift will have the recipient smiling for months! Your thoughts? 
 I'm off to begin a very busy day by dropping my daughter off at preschool with a big hug and a kiss followed by taking delivery of much anticipated furniture for a client, a client meeting and shopping for a client!  Happy Monday!
  

10 comments:

TSL said...

This is so true! I don't know anyone who doesn't adore orchids, and they just live forever. So elegant, so welcomed, the perfect gift - thank you for reminding me.

Susie @ Maddie G Designs said...

I agree, orchids are a great gift...and what a lovely presentation. Have a great day. Ah, preschool...we've got our applications in...and I cannot believe my little one might be off to "school" in the fall.

pve design said...

I do the same- I think the presentation is wonderful and always is recieved with rave reviews!
pve

Rachel Dangerfield said...

Gorgeous! Orchids are so elegant. I love reading all your tips.

Bumby Scott said...

Great post, I also think that Orchids are a great house warming gift

Always Bumby

KELLI said...

What a fab idea! I love this!!

Chic Coles said...

Orchids are on the top of our list of all time best accessory. Fun post and such a great price point.

julie said...

Hi Lisa...love your orchids and your blog is very pretty. Thanks for stopping by...julie

M.A. the 2nd ~ Frances Russell said...

Orchids are gorgeous and they last! The wrapping and bow would look great and finish it off perfectly. In fact, I think I might just go and buy myself an orchid!! You've inspired me!

High-Heeled Foot in the door said...

Beautiful! I love the display you made. That bowl is so chic. Who would have know it came from Christmas Tree Shop. So happy we now have one on L.I.!