Thursday, March 11, 2010

The making of a "tiaras & tutus" birthday party!

Since September when our daughter started the three's program at preschool (and received her first birthday invitation for the school year) she has been counting down the months, days, hours and minutes until she turns four!  I, on the other hand, have been pretending like it's so far away...sniff, sniff...I'm not ready for her to turn four. She takes "fairytale ballet" classes and has talked non-stop about turning four and wanting to have a princess ballerina birthday party. So, next weekend she will have a "tiaras and tutus" birthday celebration at the studio where she takes ballet!

 I look forward to creating a day that is as magical for her as she is magical to me and my husband. With that said, I have been squeezeing an extra twenty minutes out of my nights for the past month to make tissue paper flowers, to embellish tutus, to roll up flatware in a napkin and seal with an initial sticker, to place on-line orders, to paint paper dolls (you'll see) and mostly, to prepare for a bunch of little ballerinas to have fun.

Instead of birthday hats...
The ribbons and flowers I've been sewing on to tutus... 
The packages of tissue paper...
...continue to be transformed into flowers to be hung from the ceiling!
Preparing for this birthday party has given me pause, as I asked myself why is it that I give so much effort and energy to everything I do? Why do I happily bring on adding special touches that are time consuming? The reason came to me. I grew up in a single parent family and I witnessed my mother always give her best....always. My brother and I were given memorable birthday parties with every single detail done by her, when perhaps...it would have easier for her to use any number of reasons as an excuse to not make us a special cake, to not decorate in a special way for whatever our interests were at that stage, but instead she always made sure our birthdays were special. Being a parent was never a hassle to my mother. I hope my daughter grows up feeling the same about me.
I'll do a post on the party after next weekend.
Enjoy your day!

16 comments:

Unknown said...

Wish I was a four year old attending this amazing soiree...can't wait to see the recap, so special!

Unknown said...

OMG those tiaras are fab. Please send me one!
*kisses* HH

TSL said...

I am with The Zhush and Heavenly Housewife, dittos galore!

Silvia C said...

That certainly will be a very special birthday party. How lovely!

a lovely being said...

This post is so sweet. You know, I never forgot the hoops my mother would just through for my birthdays as well. I'm sure your daughter won't either! Your party supplies look darling.
XO fallon

Susie @ Maddie G Designs said...

Such a nice post. My little one is 22 months so we are a bit behind you. We just got our preschool acceptances last week (how funny is that?!) But, I completely agree with you about doing this for her. She will definitely remember....I remember every halloween costume my mom made, every handmade cake, etc. Enjoy this special time and cannot wait to see more as preparations progress.

ashlina {the decorista} said...

looks like that is going to be one fun fiesta!

M.A. the 2nd ~ Frances Russell said...

This looks so sweet and I love the colours you have used! Can't wait to see the party photos and with those tiaras they will all look like princesses! Great job and amazing effort involved - your daughter will have a beautiful party!
Frances

Hamptontoes said...

Thanks for all of your lovely comments. I'm looking forward to seeing her excitement on her special day.

Winchester Manor said...

Your daughter is going to be thrilled! What a magical party you are creating for her but more important what wonderful memories you are creating!

The tiaras are fabulous and I adore the tissue flowers, well done!!

I can't wait to see photos!

Hugs,
Karyn

pve design said...

Did I mention that I am having a birthday - and oh how I would love to attend this little party to illustrate these little ladies, twirling in their tiaras. I love the energy you are putting in to this. I think those extra 20 minutes that you are giving will last a lifetime!
pve

Lindsay said...

Your daughter is going to be absolutely thrilled! When she is older I'm sure she will look back at the photos and be so appreciative you went through all the extra effort to make her 4th birthday special!

Gwen Driscoll said...

You are amazing. It is all beautiful. Doesn't it make you so sad they want to grow up and up and up. I feel like we started talking about the big "10" just after we turned 9. Sniff. Sniff. Happy Weekend.

G

Haven and Home said...

What a cool party for a lucky girl!

Heather Spore said...

How about inviting all of us "child-like" adults? This looks like a little girl's dream! Keep posting your great ideas!

beachhouse etc. said...

hi thanks forstopping bymy blog beachhouse etc. looks like you had your hands full ...i remember those days when my son was little he's 12 now OMG time flies by stop by again...have a sunny day suzanne